Welcome back, Charlotte. I’m here in your inbox as usual to tell you everything you need to know about what’s going on in town.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout out your big announcement at the top of the Charlotte Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate alongside you! Submit your announcement here.
Now, today’s weather:
A t-storm in the afternoon. High: 91 Low: 72.
Here are the top five stories in Charlotte today:
- It turned out to be an unexpected treasure, a hand-inked sheet measuring 4 by 5 feet—and drawn in 1855. Dubbed the Harris Map, it is the oldest detailed map yet known of Charlotte. (Charlotte Mecklenburg Library via Facebook)
- Charlotte Symphony in Performance returns to WDAV this Saturday! Tune in at 6 pm to hear your CSO perform Beethoven’s Fourth, Prokofiev’s Classical Symphony, & Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto featuring principal clarinetist Taylor Marino. (Charlotte Symphony via Facebook)
- NOW ON SALE: Five highly-anticipated performances this fall! Get tickets today for our Annual Gala Concert: An Evening with Rhiannon Giddens. (Charlotte Symphony via Facebook)
- We know you’ve heard it before, and we are not trying to dog you out, but these 3 simple tips can keep you safe in Charlotte. (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department via Facebook)
- We will be sharing stories from our incredible Backpacks & Basics build throughout the next few weeks but we wanted to give a big shout out to all of our volunteers. (Classroom Central via Facebook)
- Rebekah has been with us all summer guiding our students at Summer Camp. She graduated from UNC Charlotte where she earned her BA in Theater Design and Tech with a minor in Dance. (Children’s Theater of Charlotte via Facebook)
- Have you had the pleasure of meeting our web designers at Influx? Since Brave Step’s start in 2014, Influx generously stepped up to help us build a website and maintain it. (Brave Step via Facebook)
- 101—That’s the amount of opportunities our scholars had across 12 sites to expand their summer learning fun with various enrichment activities. (Charlotte Freedom School Partners via Facebook)
- I am looking for someone to re-home my baby Aphrodite. I have been hit with a life change that has left some uncertainties. The last thing I want is my baby to be in an unstable environment. (Next door)
- Please be very careful when hiring anyone for babysitting or other in-home services. There are several families who hired a babysitter through Nextdoor app & this woman entered their home and stole possessions, jewelry…(Nextdoor)
- FREE Toys and clothes for 3-4-year-old boy! If any mother needs them for their boy, I’ll be happy to donate them. Please contact me. (Next door)
- Did anyone on or near Tennyson Drive get a package with my name on it today? It shows delivered at 6:11 am by USPS but I don’t have it and I don’t have the mailman on my camera either. It’s unfortunately a one of a kind item. (Next door)
- Looking for a new fur baby? Buy this 10-week-old Pomchi for $800. (Next door)
You’re officially in the loop for today. See you all tomorrow morning for another update!
— Alexis Goring
About me: My name is Alexis A. Goring. I’m an East Coast Girl with a pulse for people, news and feature stories! I’ve worked as a freelance writer/editor/proofreader in the media industry for 15 years. I’m also a published author, experienced blogger, and founder of Writer at Heart Editorial Services. Visit my website for more details about me and my work. Here’s the link: https://alexisagoring.jimdofree.com.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Charlotte Daily? Contact me at [email protected]