Interbrand has launched its 2022 Breakthrough Brands Report with Web3, Climate Tech and boutique health brands set to go mainstream.
The influential Breakthrough Brands Report reveals the 30 innovative brands that are set to disrupt the US market. This is the 5th edition of the report, which has a track record of successfully identifying game-changing challenger brands before they become household names. Previous years’ Breakthrough Brands have included Miro and Athletic Brewing (2021), A24 and Maven Clinic (2020), Square and Slack (2017), and Sweetgreen and Headspace (2016), all of which have seen exponential growth since being featured in Interbrand’s previous reports.
This year’s report is focused on the areas of innovation that will define the next decade – a new internet infrastructure, software solutions for the climate crisis, and high-growth challengers shaking up the healthcare system. The brands in these areas are arriving amid a paradigm shift – in research conducted by Interbrand and Vox Media, 58% of the US population believes private individuals like Elon Musk will have more impact on society over the next 10 years than scientists, politicians, or financial institutions.
The brands included in this year’s report span a range of fast-growing industries, including celebrity-led cannabis brands (Houseplant and Monogram), women’s health (Tia and Kindbody), blockchain (Mythical Games, Bored Ape Yacht Club and MoonPay), and Climate Tech (Watershed, Arcadia and Pachama). More than 50% of 2022’s Breakthrough Brands have founders or C-suite members who are women or people of color.
The three emerging topics from this year’s Breakthrough Brands report are:
The next generation of the internet: As Web3 is coming of age, blockchain-based companies are moving into new avenues such as NFTs and decentralised autonomous organizations. Brands using blockchain technology are creating the foundation for a more decentralized internet. Polygon, Chainalysis and MoonPay are building the infrastructure to enable more consumers and businesses to use blockchain technologies.
Carbon measurement fueling accountability: The conversation around climate change is becoming more focused on measurable action for decarbonisation and how we can become net-zero by 2050. Brands including Watershed, Planet Labs, and Doconomy are supporting businesses to reach their climate goals.
Rebuilding the healthcare industry: Decades of the ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach in healthcare are being confronted by the brands that have recognized the benefits of targeting specific segments. Brands such as Folx Health, Thirty Madison, and Kindbody are reimagining the experience for different demographics that have previously been overlooked while driving accessibility and reducing costs.
Ashish Mishra, MD, Interbrand Mumbai, said, “The future is here. The decade of possibility is seeing real action now. These Breakthrough Brands and more importantly the patterns in what they are making happen, are very useful to study for the rest of the world. Web 3-based solutions that solve real problems of the world. Climate issues that were famously all in the realm of blah now see entrepreneurs taking charge instead of relying on governments. Health care finding micro opportunities to answer its newfound primacy. With a few Cannabis-based solutions thrown in. “
Daniel Binns, CEO, Interbrand New York, said, “After another year with many uncertainties being faced by businesses, we see genuine hope in so many innovative brands emerging across a range of sectors. We’re expecting to see these brands continue to achieve impressive growth and become key disruptors within the US market. “
Interbrand partnered with Infegy Atlas, Vox Media, and Circus.
The full report can be downloaded, here.
- Interbrand’s Breakthrough Brands 2022:
- 100 Thieves – Esports hype brand
- Arcadia – API-based energy measurement
- Axie Infinity – Play-to-earn gaming
- Boom Supersonic – Bringing back supersonic flight
- Bored Ape Yacht Club – Blockbuster NFT community
- Chainalysis – Blockchain compliance
- Daring Foods – Plant-based chicken
- Doconomy – Financially incentivized decarbonization
- Eat Just – High-fidelity vegan eggs
- Figment – Blockchain infrastructure and services
- Folx Health – Healthcare for LGBTQIA +
- Houseplant – Mid-century cannabis lifestyle products
- JuneShine – Hard kombucha
- Kindbody – End-to-end fertility care
- Masterworks – Art investment platform
- Monogram – Jay-Z’s cannabis brand
- MoonPay – Payments infrastructure for crypto
- Mythical Games – Blockchain-based gaming studio
- Nomi Health – Streamlining healthcare operations
- OpenSea – NFT marketplace
- Pachama – Forest-centric carbon accounting
- PARK – Social impact sports brand
- Planet Labs – Satellite imaging to track climate change
- Polygon – Ethereum scaling infrastructure
- Thirty Madison – House of brands focused on chronic conditions
- Tia – Holistic and digital-first women’s healthcare
- Too Good To Go – Creating a circular food economy
- Watershed – Holistic carbon measurement for businesses
- Whatnot – Livestream auctions
- YouthForia – TikTok approved clean beauty