November is Generation Texas Month, a statewide movement to ensure students have information and resources about post-secondary options such as college, careers and the military.
Generation TX Week runs from November 14-18 and HISD schools will celebrate with college and career activities such as college fairs, virtual college tours, college application drives and FAFSA drives. High school counselors and college counselors will also focus on helping seniors complete college applications on Go Apply Texas and financial aid applications through the FAFSA. All high school seniors are encouraged to apply to at least one college this week.
All HISD schools will also participate in the following theme days of the week:
Monday, November 14: College Spirit Day
- Wear a varsity shirt or college colors. Create or check Apply Texas Account and apply to at least one college/university (high school).
- Create a banner with cut-out pictures or drawings of the college you might want to attend.
- Parent/Teacher Connection: Discuss what path you chose after high school (college, military, career, etc.) and why.
Tuesday, November 15: Go Wild for Education
- Wear camouflage or animal print clothing.
- Find out where your future college/university is located, what the mascot is and a fun fact. Add to flag.
- Parent/Teacher Liaison: Discuss options other than four-year colleges (community college, trade school, certificate programs, jobs, etc.).
Wednesday, November 16: Your future looks bright
- Wear bright/neon colors or sunglasses. Create FSA ID (high school).
- The college search can be a struggle. Complete a word search or scrambling word puzzle to expose your students to college terminology.
- Parent/Teacher Connection: Discuss the career you have and what made you choose it.
Thursday, November 17: Team up for College
- Dress up as twins with your friends in your team shirt.
- Design your own college shirt for the college you might want to attend.
- Parent/Teacher Connection: Talk with your students about their future goals, hopes, and expectations for their future.
Friday, November 18: Hats off to the College
- Wear your favorite hat or hat. Join us for FAFSA Friday (high school).
- Share with your class what you learned this week about your future university. Show your flag and what you have learned about your future university.
- Parent/Teacher Connection: Discuss the pros and cons of attending college out of town.