Man twice threatened to blow up local high school, police say – FOX13 News Memphis
MEMPHIS, Tenn. – A man is behind bars after a reported bomb threat at a local high school.
On Nov. 3, Memphis Police responded to a bomb threat at Hamilton High School in the 1300 block of Person Avenue.
According to an affidavit, Marterius Lewis, 18, called 911 and threatened to blow up the school at 9:36 a.m.
Ten minutes later, Lewis called 911 again and said he was armed with knives, guns and explosives and was going to blow up the school, police said.
The dispatcher said Lewis had called from a disconnected cell phone. The dispatcher was able to identify the xy coordinates of the phone near the 1400 block of South Avenue.
Police arrived on the scene and saw Lewis standing in front of a house. He ran when he saw police, records show.
The homeowner then showed up and told police Lewis doesn’t live there and was just cleaning.
When Lewis was asked about the threats against the school, he immediately denied the allegations and refused to give his name, according to the affidavit.
The homeowner told Lewis to tell the police what he had done and give them his phone.
Lewis said his phone was disconnected after he was asked to unlock it.
Police saw in the latest calls that two calls were made to 911 at 9:36 and 9:46 that morning, according to the affidavit.
A dispatcher verified that the phone was the one used to make the calls.
Lewis later confessed to making the calls and gave his real name, saying he had been diagnosed with ADHD, police said.
Police confirmed he was never at school at the time of the calls.
He is charged with false report and 2 counts of communicating a threat regarding a school employee.
Download the FOX13 Memphis app to get breaking news alerts in your neighborhood.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
©2022 Imagicom Memphis, Inc.