Paul Pelosi has been released from the hospital, a source told CNN.


Paul Pelosi has been released from a San Francisco hospital recovering from surgery and injuries to his hand and arm, according to a person familiar with the matter. Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, is on vacation six days after last week’s brutal attack, the source said.

An update on Pelosi’s health from the family is expected later Thursday.

San Francisco police entered the home at 2:27 a.m. Friday to find Pelosi struggling with a hammer, later identified as David DePape, according to the city’s police chief. The officers were seen “violently assaulting” DePape with the hammer before lifting him to the ground and arresting him.

Pelosi was taken to a hospital after the attack and “underwent successful surgery for a fractured skull and severe injuries to his right arm and hands,” Nancy Pelosi’s spokesman, Drew Hamill, said in a statement Friday evening. Full recovery is expected.

DePape pleaded not guilty Tuesday to all state charges during his first court appearance.

He also waived his right to a hearing within 10 days of the lawsuit filed by the San Francisco District Court. San Francisco Superior Court Judge Diane Northway scheduled a preliminary hearing and bail hearing for Friday.

DePape, 42, has been charged with multiple offences, including assault, following a break-in at the couple’s San Francisco home last week. He was charged with “attempted kidnapping of a US official,” according to the US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California. The case also involves Nancy Pelosi, who DePape told police she “planned to arrest,” according to FBI testimony released Monday.

The attempted kidnapping charge carries a maximum of 20 years in prison. He has yet to file a complaint in federal court.

The Department of Homeland Security said late Wednesday that DePape was in the United States illegally and could be deported.

“U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) booked Canadian national David DePape into the San Francisco County Jail following his arrest on October 28,” the department said.

This story was updated Thursday with additional developments.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button